Cabbage casseroles are comfort food at its finest. When done right, they’re creamy, crispy, and utterly crave-worthy. That’s exactly what celebrity chef Brenda Gantt’s cabbage casserole recipe delivers. This cabbage casserole by Brenda Gantt has earned her YouTube channel a cult-like following.
This cooking with Brenda Gantt cabbage casserole recipe brings together tender chopped cabbage, sweet onions, a savory and creamy soup-based sauce, and a crispy, buttery cracker topping. It’s a simple yet totally scrumptious meal that’s perfect for potlucks, family dinners, and holiday meals.
Why Brenda Gantt’s Cabbage Casserole is So Famous?
Brenda Gantt first shared her cabbage casserole on her hit YouTube channel Cooking with Brenda Gantt years ago and it immediately took off. This viral sensation has made countless appearances at potlucks, parties and family meals. What makes this simple casserole recipe so wildly popular?
- It’s incredibly easy to make yet tastes gourmet
- The short ingredient list is mostly pantry staples
- Both kids and adults gobble up this comfort food with joy
- It reheats beautifully and travels perfectly to parties and gatherings
- The hands-off method and flexible cook time takes out the guesswork
Why You’ll Love This Cabbage Casserole Recipe
There are several reasons why this cooking with Brenda Gantt cabbage casserole stands out above the rest:
It’s Unbelievably Creamy & Comforting
Each creamy, soup-smothered bite of this casserole melts in your mouth. The mayo and cream of chicken soup mixture perfectly tenderizes the cabbage and onions. It’s ultimate comfort food at its finest.
It Has The Perfect Crunch Factor
On top of all that creaminess sits Brenda’s signature buttery and cheesy cracker topping. It bakes up gloriously crispy, providing the most satisfying crunch and texture contrast with every bite.
The Flavors Are Perfectly Balanced
No single flavor overpowers the others in this recipe. The cabbage, onion and seasoning flavors shine through while complementing the creamy sauce and crispy topping. It’s a beautifully balanced casserole sure to please all palates.
It’s Super Simple to Make
From start to finish, Brenda’s casserole comes together with minimal kitchen time and effort. Even novice cooks can master this easy yet impressive crowd-pleasing dish.
How to Make Brenda Gantt’s Cabbage Casserole Recipe
Making this top-rated Brenda Gantt cabbage casserole recipe at home is simple. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 large or 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 stick salted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 10oz can cream of chicken soup
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers, crushed
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Large casserole dish (9×13-inch)
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon for mixing
- Knife and cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Grater (for cheese)
Step-by-Step Cooking Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Thoroughly wash half a head of green cabbage under running water. Pat dry with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Place the cabbage on a clean cutting board and carefully chop it into small, 1-inch sized pieces using a large sharp knife.
- Peel 1 large yellow or white onion. Cut the onion in half lengthwise. Place each half flat side down on the cutting board. Thinly slice each half into thin strips.
- Place the chopped cabbage pieces into the prepared baking dish, spreading them out evenly across the bottom.
- Evenly distribute all of the sliced onion pieces over top of the layer of cabbage in the baking dish.
- Take 1⁄2 stick (1/4 cup) of salted butter and cut it into tablespoons. Place into a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds or until completely melted.
- Carefully pour the melted butter evenly over top of the vegetables in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle 1⁄2 teaspoon of table salt or fine grain sea salt evenly over all of the vegetables.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise and the contents of one 10 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup. Vigorously whisk together using a wire whisk until fully blended and smooth.
- Use a spoon or spatula to spread the mayonnaise mixture evenly across the top of the vegetables. Smooth it into one even layer.
- Make the topping by placing one sleeve of round buttery crackers into a large zip top bag. Carefully roll over the bag using a rolling pin to crush crackers into fine crumbs.
- In another medium bowl, mix the crushed crackers together with 1⁄2 cup melted butter and 1 cup grated cheddar cheese until well combined.
- Evenly distribute the cracker topping over the casserole, making sure to completely cover the mayonnaise layer underneath.
- Place casserole dish on middle oven rack and bake for 40-50 minutes, checking at 40 minutes for doneness. It is finished when hot and bubbling around the edges and topping is lightly browned. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Special Notes for Best Results
- Use fresh cabbage and make sure to chop it small enough to tenderize completely while baking. Overly large pieces may remain crunchy.
- When making the topping, don’t add the crackers to the melted butter too soon or they’ll get mushy. Wait until just before topping the casserole.
- If you prefer things ultra-cheesy, feel free to use more grated cheddar or other cheese on top.
- Bake time can vary based on oven and dish size. Check at 40 minutes until it looks hot and bubbly.
Substitutions & Additions You Can Try
Part of what makes this cabbage casserole recipe so versatile is that it takes well to substitutions and customizations:
- Instead of butter crackers, use crushed saltine or Ritz crackers for the topping.
- For a twist of flavor, add 1 cup cooked crumbled bacon or sausage to the topping mixture.
- Replace 1/2 the mayo with sour cream for extra tangy creaminess.
- Use Monterey jack or swiss cheese instead of (or along with) the cheddar cheese on top.
- Add caraway seeds or fennel to the casserole for extra depth of flavor.
Cabbage Casserole Serving Suggestions
Brenda suggests serving her famous cabbage casserole straight from the dish, but here are some tasty serving ideas as well:
- Serve alongside roasted chicken or pork tenderloin
- Pair with buttered egg noodles or rice pilaf
- Top portions with extra crispy fried onions or bacon crumbles
- Enjoy as a hearty meatless main dish topped with chives
No matter how you serve it up, Brenda’s cabbage casserole never disappoints! You can also try Brenda Gantt’s other popular recipes to pair with this dish.
How Does Brenda Gantt’s Cabbage Casserole Taste?
When perfectly cooked, this cabbage casserole tastes absolutely decadent. Each creamy bite highlights the sweet onions and savoriness of the seasonings. The texture ranges from fall-apart tender cabbage soaked in velvety sauce to crispy, crunchy casserole topping.
It’s the ultimate savory comfort food bursting with rich creaminess yet balanced by the light freshness of the cabbage. Fans rave that you can’t stop after one bite! It’s utterly crave-worthy comfort food fabulousness.
How to Properly Store Leftover Casserole
Like many casseroles, Brenda’s cabbage creation actually improves in flavor after a day or two in the fridge. To properly store leftovers:
- Allow the casserole to cool completely before refrigerating.
- Cover tightly with foil or a lid to prevent drying out.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Reheat individual portions in the microwave with a splash of milk or broth to restore moisture and creaminess as needed.
The casserole’s crumbly topping may soften after reheating, but a quick sprinkle of buttery panko breadcrumbs helps restore some crunch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I prepare this casserole in advance?
Yes! Assemble the entire unbaked casserole up to 2 days ahead. Simply cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to bake. Add 5-10 extra minutes to the bake time.
What sides go well with this cabbage casserole recipe?
Buttery mashed potatoes, egg noodles, and roasted vegetables all pair nicely. Or just enjoy the casserole on its own!
Can I freeze this casserole?
You sure can! Bake as directed, let cool completely, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil. Thaw overnight in fridge before reheating.
What type of cabbage works best?
Green cabbage is preferred for its subtly sweet flavor, but red will also do. Just avoid very large tough heads of cabbage.
What if I don’t have buttery round crackers on hand?
Any cracker, panko breadcrumbs or crushed cornflakes can work for the topping! Aim for something that bakes up crisp and buttery.
- 1/2 large cabbage or a whole small cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can (10 ounces) cream of chicken soup
- Pepper to taste
- 1 sleeve buttery crackers, crushed
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a casserole dish (about 9x13 inches), layer the roughly chopped cabbage.
- Spread thinly sliced onions over the cabbage.
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter and drizzle it over the cabbage and onions. Sprinkle salt evenly.
- In a separate bowl, mix mayonnaise, cream of chicken soup, and pepper. Stir well.
- Spread the mayo and soup mixture over the cabbage and onions, ensuring even coverage.
- In a new bowl, combine crushed buttery crackers with melted butter and grated cheddar cheese. Mix well.
- Spread the cracker mixture evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and the topping is light brown.
- Keep an eye on it, as cooking times may vary depending on your oven.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.
You can tweak the ingredients to personalize this recipe. But if you are a beginner, then follow this recipe.
It’s easy to see why Brenda Gantt’s cabbage casserole has reached legend status after going viral online. The combination of tender cabbage, crispy onion bits, melty cheese and crunchy crackers is sheer comfort food magic. This is a terrific staple recipe for potlucks, holidays and family dinners that never disappoints. Brenda’s fans have been enjoying this homemade delight for many years and now you can too. Whip up this iconic casserole tonight to see for yourself how irresistibly creamy, crispy and comforting it is!