Pepperoni is made with a special adaptation of sausage recipes, its ingredients were available also in America.
The pepperoni casserole is known for the first time in New York in 1919. it was at all of Italian delis and pizzerias in Manhattan.
Here are all ingredients needed to make this recipe
- 1 lb ground lean ground turkey 97% lean
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 30 oz hunts tomato sauce or 2 cans 15 oz tomatoes with no added sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 12 ounces rotini pasta low carb
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup no-fat mozzarella cheese
- 32 slices of turkey pepperoni, divided (approx 2 oz)
- 2 TBSP sliced black olive
- stop with additional zero point vegetables if you desire
How to make Pepperoni Pizza Casserole
Preheat oven to 350.
Cook pasta according to package and drain.
Heat olive oil over medium heat and saute ground turkey, onion, garlic, in a large skillet until meat is cooked.
Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl mix cooked pasta, meat mixture, sauce, 1 cup of cheese, 16 pepperonis, and Italian seasoning.
Spread pasta mixture evenly in pan.
top with remaining cheese, pepperoni, and olives.
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes until heated through.
Cut into 12 equal servings.